Reaction score
Credits
Hi i just installed kali linux few days ago and
when i type iwconfig it only show lo.
I’m in dual boot

Hi i just installed kali linux few days ago and
when i type iwconfig it only show lo.
I’m in dual boot
Hey dude! Stoked to hear that you’ve installed Kali Linux! Let’s see if I can help you with your issue.

So, if ‘iwconfig’ command only shows ‘lo’, it means that your network adapter is not being recognized. Have you checked if your network adapter shows up in the output of the command ‘ifconfig’? If not, try running the command ‘lspci’ to see if your network adapter is being recognized by your system.

If it is not being recognized, then you might need to install the appropriate driver for your network adapter. Also check to see if the hardware switch for the network adapter is turned on.

Let me know if this was helpful or if you need further assistance!

That's refreshing. I usually see the new Kali users getting crucified by people for even saying Kali outloud. "move fast and break stuff" that's how we learned and when it breaks we'll be here to help.

I managed to solve the problem in another way ty anyways!!
Hello, may I ask how did you solve this? I am having the same issue with my Laptop and Kali Linux, I am not using dual boot though, it is just running inside Windows at the same time (I think it is called Virtual Machine), I wonder if that has anything to do.

If you are using a VM/VB then your connection to the internet is via a BRIDGE to the main OS

Please help me , I'm even facing with same issue and I'm new to Kali Linux, although I followed few YouTube videos which consists of downloading compact wireless files from Google which give wlan0 as output for iwconfig though when I used airodump-ng wlan0mon , the output given was nothing, where the no network was shown

Welcome to the forums @qwader

I am sorry to tell you, that you should have read the KALI doc's [link on the download page] BEFORE attempting to install and use it,
Kali is not for beginners
Kali is not for anyone who is not experienced in Linux and the use of the Linux terminal [usually around 3 yrs of daily use]
Kali is designed for experienced pen-testers only,
Kali is not easy for even some experienced Linux users to install, get it wrong and you will brick your machine,

you can use my general guide to installing Linux, which works with most distributions but its not written for Kali

you are expected to have sufficient knowledge to download and install [on your own] any drivers needed for your machine

if you are trying to use a VM/VB/or WSL then see my post 2 up

Hey Guys, help me, no matter what i try nothing seems to be working, wlan0 or wifi is not at all showing up. No idea what to do now, tried everything i could. So what am i to do now?

Welcome
I assume you have installed Kali,
do you have the necessary Linux experience and knowledge to be using it, ?

your question shows a lack of information,

Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 22.04] and how you have installed it [bare mettle/multi boot/ VM/WSL/ etc]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Ohh yes, thankyou @Brickwizard
I'm new here and wanting to learn cyber security
I use a HP Aero pavilion 13 bought 2 years ago
Specs: 16GB RAM, Windows 11
Wifi network driver in my laptop: Realtek RTL8852AE WIFI 6802.11ax PCle adapter
By following a youtube video i have installed:
Oracle VM
Then kali linux
i have extracted zip file from kali linux download and added it in VM
Since then i couldn't find Wifi option or WLAN0 OR WLAN1
I have tried many options like downloading "compat-wireless-2010-06-28" in linux
and used "work load"
Another method:
service networkmanager restart
aptget update
aptget dist upgrade
github.com/tadakasuryateja/broadcominstaller2021.git
chmod +x broadcom.sh

These are all the things that i have tried and got so mad that none of them worked
and currently i have uninstalled linux but kept VM.
Please help me what to do in this situation.

i have extracted zip file from kali linux download and added it in VM
Since then i couldn't find Wifi option or WLAN0 OR WLAN1

you also need to learn about VM/VM machines as well as linux,
IF you are using a VM then your connections to the outside world are controlled by the HOST OS [I guess windows in your case][
the VM has no direct interface only by a bridge to the host, [click on the connection icon and it should say bridge] to make a VM have its own direct connection, you need a second [usb] wi-fi adaptor and also to change the parameters in the VM,usb settings.

KALI is the hardest of all pentesting distributions to install , the developers expect you to be fully Linux and its terminal competent and have enough knowledge to find , download and install your own drivers.

There are about another 10/12 pentesting distributions , most are easier too install than Kali, but be warned you are still expected to be Linux proficient.

NOW I will make a suggestion, download and install any desktop Linux and use it as much as possible to get the knowledge you need, before you try to use the "Tools" because if you get it wrong you will brick your machine.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND
but i will suggest, and its your decision. Download Parrot HOME edition [some basic tools included] and use it as much as posible, when you have a couple of hundred hours of Linux under your belt you can then either , Install the tool pack to the home edition, or install the security edition with tools, or install the hack the box edition [ I use the home edition nice friendly desktop for daily use, easy to install, and i can still play when the fancy takes me]

you also need to learn about VM/VM machines as well as linux,
IF you are using a VM then your connections to the outside world are controlled by the HOST OS [I guess windows in your case][
the VM has no direct interface only by a bridge to the host, [click on the connection icon and it should say bridge] to make a VM have its own direct connection, you need a second [usb] wi-fi adaptor and also to change the parameters in the VM,usb settings.

KALI is the hardest of all pentesting distributions to install , the developers expect you to be fully Linux and its terminal competent and have enough knowledge to find , download and install your own drivers.

There are about another 10/12 pentesting distributions , most are easier too install than Kali, but be warned you are still expected to be Linux proficient.

NOW I will make a suggestion, download and install any desktop Linux and use it as much as possible to get the knowledge you need, before you try to use the "Tools" because if you get it wrong you will brick your machine.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND
but i will suggest, and its your decision. Download Parrot HOME edition [some basic tools included] and use it as much as posible, when you have a couple of hundred hours of Linux under your belt you can then either , Install the tool pack to the home edition, or install the security edition with tools, or install the hack the box edition [ I use the home edition nice friendly desktop for daily use, easy to install, and i can still play when the fancy takes me]
I have tried changing network mode too, i've changed it from "NAT" to Bridged network, it shows realtek wifi adaptor but wlan0 is not being shown on right corner

I have tried changing network mode too, i've changed it from "NAT" to Bridged network, it shows realtek wifi adaptor but wlan0 is not being shown on right corner

Depending on which Desktop GUI you are using, wlan0 is your RealTek adapter.

Are you expecting the name to match in every environment?

Nothing is working, no matter what i do, i'm still stuck with only "ethernet connection"
I have tried installing drivers, rebooting linux, updating linux, changing network connection from NAT to bridged network.
Though i can see there's a wifi adapter, but i don't understand why the hell it won't show up in linux
i'm attaching screenshots for your reference, please look into it and let me know if there's anything i could do.
Thankyou.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 26
I have tried installing drivers, rebooting linux, updating linux, changing network connection from NAT to bridged network.

So, this is a VM? I missed this somewhere.

The VM is isolated from your host computer. It doesn't know what kind of network adapter your computer has.

It may be a Wi-Fi adapter on your host computer, but in VirtualBox, or KVM/Qemu, or VMware, it will
only show up as a LAN connection on the VM. It will not show up as a Wi-Fi connection.

But the Lan connection really is using your Wi-Fi adapter if that's your primary interface.

There are ways in some virtual environments to do something called a pass-thru.
But you have to dedicate that interface to the VM. You can't use pass-thru network interfaces on both
the host and the VM.

aptget update
aptget dist upgrade
On Kali, this is a great way to open the floodgates for phishing attacks on your machine.
(at least from my experience on VM)

I didn't even run dist upgrade, just sudo apt upgrade, but my host machine AV was going wild with notifications from phishing attempts blocked. After I cancelled, in my VM all websites defaulted to HTTP instead of HTTPS.

Then again, the Kali docs explicitly warn against updating your machine like this

Members online