How to change Xubuntu to boot straight to desktop

darry1966

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys,

Can anyone enlighten a forgetful old fella like how to change my Xubuntu 24.04 from booting to login manager asking for password to booting directly to desktop. Forgot when installing to choose that option. Do I need to modify xinitrc? Not sure what to do thanks.

hi @darry1966
This page will tell you how to do that. Good luck.
It been awhile since I use Xubuntu but that should work.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone enlighten a forgetful old fella like how to change my Xubuntu 24.04 from booting to login manager asking for password to booting directly to desktop. Forgot when installing to choose that option. Do I need to modify xinitrc? Not sure what to do thanks.
To change Xubuntu from booting to the login manager to booting directly to the desktop, you need to disable the "Automatic Login" feature. Here's how you can do it:

1. Open the "Settings Manager" from the application menu.
  2. In the "Settings Manager", click on "User Accounts".
  3. In the "User Accounts" window, click on the "Login Settings" tab.
  4. In the "Login Settings" tab, check the box next to "Automatic Login".
  5. A new box will appear asking for your password. Enter your password and click "Authenticate".
  6. After authenticating, you will be asked to enter the username for which you want to enable automatic login. Enter your username and click "OK".
  7. You will be asked to enter your password again. Enter your password and click "OK".
  8. Close the "User Accounts" window.
Now, Xubuntu should boot directly to the desktop without asking for a password.

It's not something I'd advise doing as Linux is all about security.

Not having a Login Password...anyone can access your computer files...it's even easier in Mint Cinnamon to do but that's not me.
1715477234022.gif

It's not something I'd advise doing as Linux is all about security.

Not having a Login Password...anyone can access your computer files...it's even easier in Mint Cinnamon to do but that's not me. View attachment 19898
I wouldn't either but if there aren't any files worth being private, example on a shared computer, then I can see why someone would want to bypass the hassle

Of cause I can mount the computers Drive with the Live Session that has a Password but windoze users don't know that.
1715478094311.gif

Latest posts